- Investment Expertise
We’re finding that an increasing number of institutional, pension fund and high-net-worth investors are turning to private equity in order to enhance their portfolio performance.
We are committed to supporting the insurance sector and have a dedicated insurance solutions team.
- Our insight
The House View process provides a consistent macroeconomic framework to analysing global financial markets.
Our Head of Global Strategy, Andrew Milligan, introduces the latest edition of Global Outlook, a summary of our House View.
Standard Life Investments’ Global Strategy team provide regular analysis of the key economic data that has been influencing financial markets.
Our global strategists combine valuable experience, thorough research and analysis to tackle major issues of the moment.
Governance and stewardship is about making sure that companies’ operational processes and policies are robust and responsible.
- How we discharge our stewardship responsibilities
- Our policy for managing conflicts of interests
- How we monitor our investee companies
- Our guidelines for escalating engagement
- Our willingness to act collectively with other investors
- Our policy on voting and voting disclosure
- How we report on stewardship to our clients
We recognise the importance of transparency and accountability when it comes to our stewardship responsibilities. To this end, we have published an annual review of our governance and stewardship activities, which provides an account of how we have fulfilled our responsibilities. Please select the link below to view the 2016 annual review.2016 annual review
- Responsible Investment
We recognise that the management of environmental and social responsibilities is subject to many factors, and take into account the particular circumstances, industries and locations in which the companies operate.
We've produced guidelines on responsible investment to explain how we evaluate the environmental and social policies of the companies in which we are (or might be) an investor.
Global Absolute Return Strategies
Global Absolute Return Strategies (GARS) aims to give investors positive investment returns in all market conditions. We seek to provide the same returns that have historically been achieved by conventional long-term equity investment, but with less uncertainty than equity-only investing.
GARS targets cash* +5% each year (gross of fees) over rolling three-year periods. This is consistent with the long-term return available from equities and we expect to achieve this target with only one-third to one-half of the volatility of equities.
To achieve its objectives, GARS seeks to attain genuine diversification by actively allocating to a wide range of asset class exposures. So, as well as traditional investments in equities, fixed income and real estate, GARS can seek returns from currencies, interest rates and volatility.
Additionally, GARS can use advanced investment strategies such as relative value and directional returns. These strategies can help us make money even if markets are falling. In this way, we aim to enhance the return potential and provide investors with a smoother investment journey. We select strategies freely across geographies and markets, investing where we find the best return prospects within our robust risk constraints.
Benefits of GARS
- Potential for positive investment returns – GARS targets positive returns irrespective of market conditions.
- Smoother investment journey – GARS aims to deliver long-term, equity-level returns but with lower risk than equity-only investing.
- Experienced investment team – GARS is managed by our experienced and award-winning multi-asset-investing team, comprising over 35 skilled and experienced investment professionals.
- Genuine diversification – GARS invests in a wide range of strategies across asset classes in order to generate positive returns irrespective of market direction. As a result, GARS offers extensive portfolio diversification and flexibility.