Legal and Regulatory Information
1. Company and regulation details
Standard Life Investments Limited (SC123321), is registered in Scotland at 1 George Street, Edinburgh, EH2 2LL. It is also registered in Ireland (904256) and has a principal place of business at 90 St. Stephen's Green, Dublin 2, Ireland.
The Standard Life Investments group comprises Standard Life Investments (Holdings) Limited (SC298143) and its subsidiaries which include Standard Life Investments Limited, Standard Life Wealth Limited (SC317950), Standard Life Investments (Mutual Funds) Limited (SC123322), SLTM Limited (SC075550), Standard Life Investments (Corporate Funds) Limited (SC111488), SL Capital Partners LLP (SO301408) and Ignis Asset Management Limited (SC200801). All companies are registered in Scotland at 1 George Street, Edinburgh EH2 2LL.
ISA information is issued by Standard Life Investments (Mutual Funds) Limited, the ISA Manager.
With the exception of Standard Life Investments (Holdings) Limited and Ignis Asset Management Limited, the above companies are authorised and regulated in the UK by the Financial Conduct Authority.
Financial Conduct Authority Register Reference Numbers: Standard Life Investments Limited - 188406, Standard Life Wealth Limited – 466684, Standard Life Investments (Mutual Funds) Limited - 146477, SLTM Limited - 119366, Standard Life Investments (Corporate Funds) Limited - 143445, SL Capital Partners LLP – 469934. The Financial Conduct Authority Register can be found at https://www.fca.org.uk/register
The VAT number for Standard Life Aberdeen group is GB270347469.
Standard Life Investments (USA) Limited is registered in Scotland (SC215736) at 1 George Street, Edinburgh, EH2 2LL. It is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Standard Life Investments Limited. It is registered as an Investment Adviser with the US Securities and Exchange Commission and has a principal place of business at One Beacon Street, 34th Floor, Boston, MA 02108, USA.
Standard Life Investments (Hong Kong) Limited is a company incorporated in Hong Kong (666004) with its registered office at 30th Floor, Jardine House, One Connaught Place, Central, Hong Kong. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of Standard Life Investments Limited. It is licensed with and regulated in Hong Kong by the Securites and Futures Commission and has a principal place of business at 30th Floor, LHT Tower, 31 Queen’s Road Central, Hong Kong.
Any reference within the pages of this site to "Standard Life Aberdeen group" means the subsidiary companies of Standard Life Aberdeen plc.
This website is intended for the information of residents in countries in which Standard Life Investments group products may be sold unless otherwise stated. The information on our site does not constitute an offer or solicitation to sell units or shares in any of the funds referred to on this site, by anyone in any jurisdiction in which such offer, solicitation or distribution would be unlawful or in which the person making such offer or solicitation is not qualified to do so or to anyone to whom it is unlawful to make such offer or solicitation.
3. General disclaimers and terms
While Standard Life Investments Limited has taken all reasonable care to ensure that the information contained within the pages of this site is accurate, current and complies with relevant United Kingdom legislation and regulations as at the date of issue, errors or omissions may occur due to circumstances outside our control. We reserve the right to change the content, presentation, performance, facilities and availability of all or part of the pages of this site at our sole discretion and without prior notice. We make no warranty or representation that the pages of this site can be accessed at all times during the UK hours of business stated on this site. This site may be temporarily unavailable or restricted for administrative or other reasons. We will not be liable for any loss or damage arising out of or in connection with the loss of the use of this site.
If you are in any doubt as to the accuracy and currency of any information contained within the pages of this site, or if you require any further information, you may wish to contact us directly or take independent financial advice.
Standard Life Investments Limited accepts no responsibility for information contained in any other sites which can be accessed by hypertext link from these pages or for these other sites not being available at all times. The links to any other sites are provided for general information purposes only and the sites concerned and their contents are not endorsed or promoted by us in any way, unless otherwise stated. Please note that when you click on any external site hypertext link you will leave the Standard Life Investments site and access the external site at your own risk.
Please remember that past performance is not a guide to future performance. The value of units and shares and the income from them can go down as well as up and investors may not get back the amount originally invested. Exchange rate changes may cause the value of overseas investments to rise or fall. For further details on any of the funds or products mentioned, please read the relevant offering document or prospectus.
You may invest in a Stocks and Shares ISA if you are at least 18 years old, hold a UK bank (or building society) account, have not subscribed to another Stocks and Shares ISA in that tax year and are resident in the UK or meet certain other residency requirements specified by relevant laws, regulations and related guidance.
The tax treatment of UK pension funds may be subject to change in future.
By accessing these pages you shall be deemed to have accepted and agreed to be bound by the terms of this Legal and Regulatory Information page which shall be governed by the law of Scotland.
Nothing on the pages of this site shall be deemed to constitute financial, investment or other professional advice in any way and you should consult your financial adviser or other professional adviser if you require any financial or other professional advice.
If you are not sure about which fund to invest in or even the suitability of an ISA for you, or you would like further information about any of the funds, you may wish to consult your usual financial adviser who will be happy to advise what is best for you. Some advisers may charge to provide advice.
5. Copyright and trade mark
© 2018 Standard Life Investments Limited. All rights reserved.
Copyright in the pages of this site, in the screens displaying the pages and in the information and material contained therein and their arrangement is owned by Standard Life Investments Limited unless otherwise indicated. Standard Life Investments, the Standard Life Investments logo, and FundAccess® are registered trade marks of Standard Life Investments Limited. Standard Life Investments Limited, or such other member of Standard Life Aberdeen group as Standard Life Investments Limited may direct, may also claim trade mark and service mark rights in other marks contained within the pages of this site.
Reproduction of these pages in whole or in part without the prior written consent of Standard Life Investments Limited is strictly prohibited unless for private, non-commercial viewing purposes.
6. E-mail and other electronic communication
Please note that there is no guarantee that any electronic communication sent will be received by us, or that the contents of any such electronic communication will remain private or unaltered during transmission. If you have any such concerns you may prefer to telephone or write to us instead. We accept no liability for any damages you or others may suffer as a result of the alteration or loss of confidentiality of such information.
We filter, monitor and retain electronic communications to protect our systems and keep them running smoothly, and to comply with regulation and good business practice.
Any software is downloaded at your own risk. Standard Life Investments Limited does not warrant the suitability of any such software which is downloaded and accepts no liability for any problems with your computer that may arise as a result. If you are in any doubt as to the suitability of software to be downloaded for your computer it is recommended that you obtain specialist advice before downloading.
8. Data protection
Standard Life Investments is committed to protecting your personal information.
Who we are
We are Standard Life Investments, part of Standard Life Aberdeen plc, one of the world's largest investment companies.
Standard Life Investments is a global investment group with leading institutional and wholesale distribution franchises, market leading platforms and access to long-standing, strategic partnerships globally.
How to contact us
FAO Data Protection Officer
Standard Life Investments
Bow Bells House
1 Bread Street
Information we collect and use
Information about you that we collect and use includes:
- Information about who you are e.g. your name, date of birth and contact details
- Information connected to your product or service with us e.g. your bank account details
- Information about your contact with us e.g. meetings, phone calls, emails / letters
- Information that is automatically collected e.g. via cookies when you visit one of our websites
- Information if you visit one of our offices e.g. visual images collected via closed circuit television (CCTV)
- Information classified as 'sensitive' personal information e.g. relating to your health
- Children are not able to buy products and services from us. However, on intstruction from a parent or guardian, a child can also be named as a beneficiary on some funds and trusts. In these cases, we collect limited personal information to identify the child (such as their name, age, gender).
Where we collect and use sensitive personal information, this information will only be collected and used where it's needed to provide the product or service you have requested or to comply with our legal obligations, and where we have also obtained your explicit consent to process such information.
Where we collect your information
We may collect your personal information directly from you, from a variety of sources, including:
- An application form for a product or service
- Phone conversations with us
- Emails or letters you send to us
- Meetings with one of our business development or relationship managers
- Registering for one of our events
- Participating in research surveys to help us understand you better and improve our products and services
- Entering competitions e.g. to win tickets to a sporting event which we sponsor
- Our online services such as websites, social media and mobile device applications ('Apps')
If you have a financial adviser, the information we collect and use will most likely have been provided by them on your behalf.
We may also collect personal information about you from places such as business directories and other commercially or publicly available sources e.g. to check or improve the information we hold (like your address) or to give better contact information if we are unable to contact you directly.
Why we collect and use your information
We take your privacy seriously and we will only ever collect and use information which is personal to you where it is necessary, fair and lawful to do so. We will collect and use your information only if we are able to satisfy one of the lawful processing conditions set out in the data protection laws. This will be the case where:
- It's necessary to provide the product or service you have requested e.g. if you wish to invest in one of our funds or products we will require some personal information which may include your name, address, date of birth, and bank account details
- It's necessary for us to meet our legal or regulatory obligations e.g. to send you Annual Statements, tell you about changes to Terms and Conditions or for the detection and prevention of fraud
- It's in the legitimate interests of Standard Life Investments i.e. to deliver appropriate information and guidance so you are aware of the options that may help you get the best outcome from your product or investment; where we need to process your information to better understand you and your needs so we can send you more relevant communications about the products you have with us and to develop new products and services. Where the processing is in our legitimate interests, we will always conduct an assessment to ensure that this use of your personal information is not excessive or unnecessary or otherwise more intrusive than it needs to be
- You have given us your permission [consent] to use your information in this way. For example, if we are collecting and using your sensitive personal information or for certain types of direct marketing
If you do not wish us to collect and use your personal information in these ways, it may mean that we will be unable to provide you with our products or services.
Marketing and Analytics
Where you have given your permission to do so (or when given the opportunity have not objected), we will send you information from Standard Life Investments about products and services offered by Standard Life Investments, as well as other parts of Standard Life Aberdeen plc and / or our partners with whom we have entered into sponsorship arrangements or similar partnering arrangements. Even though the materials may refer to the third party, we (and not the third party) will send you the information about such events and sponsorship activities. These are parties we have chosen to work whose products or services we believe may be of interest and benefit to you.
You can withdraw your consent or manage your preferences by contacting us (see 'How to contact us' section)
We sometimes use systems to make automated decisions based on personal information we have - or are allowed to collect and use from others – about you. These automated decisions can affect the products, services or features we offer you now or in the future. We use automated decisions in the following ways:
- Tailoring products and services e.g. placing you in groups with similar customers to make decisions about the products and services we may offer you to help meet your needs
- When designing and enhancing our online services to help meet your requirements for ongoing guidance and support
Who we share your information with and why
We may share your information internally, and with third parties for the reasons outlined in 'Why we collect and use your information'.
We will share your information with:
- Other parts of the Standard Life Investments group and Standard Life Aberdeen plc who support us in the provision of the product or service you have
- Credit reference agencies for the purposes of conducting a credit check and ID verification
- Your adviser, trustee, business associate, professional advisor where this is required as part of the product or service you have agreed with us
- Companies we have chosen to support us in the delivery of the products and services we offer to you and other customers. For example, research, consultancy or technology companies who help us improve our service to you
- Companies who can help us in our contact with you, for example an internet service provider
- Our regulators; including the Financial Conduct Authority and the Information Commissioner's Office (the ICO) in the UK
- Law enforcement and other appointed agencies who support us (or where they request the information) in the prevention and detection of crime; and HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) for the purposes of tax reporting where necessary.
Where your information is processed
The majority of your information is processed in the UK and European Economic Area (EEA).
However, some of your information may be processed by us or the third parties we work with outside of the EEA, including countries such as the United States, Hong Kong, Singapore, and India.
Where your information is being processed outside of the EEA, we take additional steps to ensure that your information is protected to at least an equivalent level as would be applied by UK / EEA data privacy laws e.g. we will put in place legal agreements with our third party suppliers and do regular checks to ensure they meet these obligations.
How we protect your information
We take information and system security very seriously and we strive to comply with our obligations at all times. Any personal information which is collected, recorded or used in any way, whether on paper, online or any other media, will have appropriate safeguards applied in line with our data protection obligations.
Your information is protected by controls designed to minimise loss or damage through accident, negligence or deliberate actions. Our employees also protect sensitive or confidential information when storing or transmitting information electronically and must undertake annual training on this.
Our security controls are aligned to industry standards and good practice; providing a control environment that effectively manages risks to the confidentiality, integrity and availability of your information.
How long we keep your information
To provide your product or investment, and meet our legal and regulatory obligations, we keep your personal information and copies of records we create (e.g. calls with us) while you are a client or customer of ours.
Even when you no longer have a relationship with us, we are required to keep information for different legal and regulatory reasons. The length of time will vary and we regularly review our retention periods to make sure they comply with all laws and regulations.
You have a number of rights under data protection laws which may be exercised in certain circumstances. These are:
- The right to be informed about how and why we are processing your personal information
- The right of access to personal information relating to you
- The right to rectification of inaccurate or incomplete personal information
- The right to request erasure of your personal information
- The right to restrict processing of your personal information
- The right to data portability
- The right to object to processing of your personal information (e.g. profiling or direct marketing)
- The right not to be subject to automated decision making (including profiling) which significantly or legally affects you
For more information on your rights and how to exercise them please contact us (see 'How to contact us' section).
How to make a complaint
While we hope that we can resolve any complaints for you, you do have the option complain to your local data protection authority (e.g. the ICO in the UK). This is available to you whether or not you have exhausted our complaints procedure.
You can find your local data protection authority on the Europa website:
We use this information to track your movements through our websites to find out how they are being used and assess their usefulness. Personal information about you is not collected during the tracking process.
We also use persistent cookies if you have registered for any of our online services. These cookies allow us to make the logging-in process easier and more secure. They will also pre-populate your details should you need to complete one of our online forms.
You can disable the cookies that we attach if your browser supports this. For further information on how to do this, please refer to www.aboutcookies.org However, you should bear in mind that if you exercise this option, you may be unable to use some of our online services.
The prices which are shown are for information purposes only. They are not the prices at which the shares or investment products can be bought or sold.
Investment products involving accumulation units or shares have income distributions automatically re-invested. Other investments have income distributions paid to the investor and this will be reflected in the price.